I recently spoke about the Creator who made the unfathomably vast universe. What about the opposite end of the scale? What if we zoom into the smallest living creature, the cell, at the level of atoms and molecules?
Dr. Michael Behe, a biochemist at Lehigh University in PA, has recently produced some fascinating videos on God’s handiwork in the smallest scale, Secrets of the Cell. Please start with Episode 1.
Episode 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YngarAhh0M
Episode 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLlJXn0XOFg
Episode 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iyrga53Cwc4
Episode 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9AxqLsKmMA
Episode 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuvQaDKFs80
QUESTIONS for reflection and discussion:
- What are the limits of Darwinian evolution?
- What’s the difference between non-living things (like rocks) and living creatures?
- What would it take for the simplest living creature (the cell) to emerge from a chemical soup, assuming the soup already contains all the necessary molecules for life?
- How is Mount Rushmore different from another mountain? Can natural processes produce the sculptures on Mount Rushmore?
- What is the best explanation for the origin of life, given the best scientific evidence available today? Why? Could you explain it to your friends?
- BONUS QUESTION: What is the probability of coming up with the phrase “when in the course of human events” by randomly selecting the letters of the alphabet? (There are 34 characters in the phrase, including the space. By comparison, the human DNA has about 3 billion characters.)
Please keep thinking deeply!
Blessings in Christ,